Gap Year Teaching Programme
About our Gap Programme
Our Gap Programme is aimed at young people who are taking a year off between school and university.
We offer the opportunity to work with and learn from our experienced team of staff and be part of the extended Ashfold family. Our Gap students are valued members of our team and we aim to ensure that they gain unique work experience and have an exciting and life-enriching Gap year.
Applications for our GAP Programme are closed for the next acadamic year.
"My gap year at Ashfold has been phenomenal. The staff and children are so welcoming and kind. I can't recommend it enough!"
- Bryana Smith, Kinross Wolaroi School, Australia
What We Look For
Our application process is designed to assess whether candidates have the necessary attributes to be a good Gap student so that we find the right fit for the candidate and the School. In our experience, it is very important that Gap students can interact with children and staff, think independently and remain motivated when far from home.
We are looking for young people who:
- Display a high level maturity, independence and enthusiasm.
- Have outstanding leadership and communication skills - these are essential as our Gap students work very closely with the children, the teaching staff and the support staff.
- Are pro-active individuals - we encourage our Gap students to use their initiative in finding ways to add value to the School and their own personal development.
- Have a high level of empathy - this is important as our Gap students are often seen by the children as older siblings. For this bond to develop, it is essential to listen and respond to the children's needs in an appropriate and supportive manner.
How to Apply
Stage 1: Application Form & CV
We've tried to make the application process as straightforward as possible.
All you need to do is complete all sections of the Application Form and return it to us. Details of the placement, and the Application Form, can be found here:
We would also advise you to organise your references.
Stage 2: Initial Interview
If your application meets our requirements and you have shown that you have the necessary attributes for the placement, you'll be invited to a virtual/phone interview with our Deputy Head and Head of Boarding which usually lasts about 30-40 minutes.
We'll want to know more about you but we'll also want to encourage you to learn more about us and so we hope that you'll use the opportunity to ask us questions. Following interviews, we'll draw up a short list of candidates.
Stage 3: Interview with Headmaster
If you're shortlisted, you'll be invited to an informal virtual/phone interview with the Headmaster.
Following final interviews, we'll offer places to two candidates, normally one male and one female. Please note that any offer will be subject to terms and conditions eg receipt of supporting references, an enhanced DBS check and obtaining the necessary work visa for the UK.
We always try and arrange interviews at mutually convenient times given the international time differences. We also try to keep all candidates informed of their status throughout the selection process but we do ask candidates to be patient as it is a time-consuming process. We like to provide detailed individual feedback but this may not always be possible due to the volume of applications.